I'm interested in vices and misanthropy, transformative experiences, and exemplarism.
Virtues, vices and misanthropy
Virtues, vices and misanthropy
- A paper on Buddhist vice ethics.
- A chapter on animals and virtues for an edited volume.*
- A paper on veganism and vices.
- A book on misanthropy.
- 'Varieties of Philosophical Misanthropy', Journal of Philosophical Research, forthcoming.
- A review of Rebecca Kondyk DeYoung, Glittering Vices, 2nd ed., Journal of Moral Philosophy, forthcoming.
- ‘Humankind, Human Nature, and Misanthropy’, Metascience 29 (2020): 505–508.
- Essay review of Rutger Bregman, Humankind: A Hopeful History (2020).
- 'Pandemic, Pessimism, and Misanthropy', American Philosophical Association Newsletter on Feminism and Philosophy 20.1 (2020): 34-36..
- Fall 2020 special issue on Feminist Responses to Pandemics and Covid-19.
- ‘Philosophical Misanthropy’, Philosophy Now August/September issue (2020): 22-25.
- 'Philosophical Misanthropy', recording of a public lecture at the Philosophy Now! Festival, Conway Hall, London, January 2020.
- 'Misanthropy and the Hatred of Humankind', Noell Birondo (ed.), The Moral Psychology of Hatred, under review.*
- 'Animals, Misanthropy, and Humanity', Journal of Animal Ethics 10.1 (2020): 66–72.
- Essay review of David E. Cooper, Animals and Misanthropy (2018).
- 'Vices, Misanthropy, and Daoism', Philosophy in Three Words podcast, University of Exeter Royal Institute of Philosophy Lecture Series, May 2019.
- 'Pathophobia, Illness, and Vices', International Journal of Philosophical Studies 27.2 (2019): 286-306.
- Review of Nicholas Bommarito, Inner Virtue, Philosophical Quarterly 69.276 (2019): 641–644.*
- 'Expanding Transformative Experience', co-authored with Havi Carel, European Journal of Philosophy, forthcoming.
- We focus on chronic illnesses and other forms of embodied suffering as types of unelected transformative experience.
- 'Suffering and Transformative Experience', co-authored with Havi Carel, for David Bain, Michael Brady, and Jennifer Corns (eds.), The Philosophy of Suffering (London: Routledge), forthcoming.*
- ‘Pandemic Transformative Experiences’, co-authored with Havi Carel, The Philosophers’ Magazine 90 (2020): 24-31.
- 'A Pluralist Account of Spiritual Exemplarity', Victoria Harrison and Tyler McNabb (ed.), Philosophy and the Spiritual Life (London: Routledge, 2020), forthcoming.*
- A collection arising from the 2017 British Society for the Philosophy of Religion conference.
- ‘“Following the Way of Heaven”: Exemplarism, Emulation, and Daoism’, Journal of the American Philosophical Association 6.1 (2020): 1-15.
- Selected by the Editors for the JAPA Special Series in Non-Western Philosophy.
- 'Daoism, Humanity, and the Way of Heaven', Religious Studies 56 (2020) 56, 111–126.
- Special issue: Philosophy of Religions: Cross-Cultural, Multi-Religious Approaches, edited by Mikel Burley.
- 'Admiration, Attraction, and the Aesthetics of Exemplarity', Journal of Moral Education 48:3 (2019): 369-380.*
- Special issue on education and exemplarism edited by Michel Croce and Maria Silvia Vaccarezza.
- 'Narratives of Adversity and Wisdom in Ancient Ethical and Spiritual Texts', co-authored with Will Kynes, Laura E. R. Blackie, and Kate C. McLean, Journal of Value Inquiry 53.3 (2019): 459-461.
- 'Adversity, Wisdom, and Exemplarism', Journal of Value Inquiry, 52.4 (2018) 379-393.
- 'Spiritual Exemplars', International Journal of Philosophy and Theology 79.4 (2018): 420-424.
- Special issue: Living Religion, edited by Anastasia Philippa Scrutton and Simon Hewitt.
- 'Beautiful Bodhisattvas: The Aesthetics of Spiritual Exemplarity', Contemporary Buddhism 18.2 (2017): 331-345.
- ‘Exemplars, Ethics, and Illness Narratives’, Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics 38.4 (2017): 323-334.
- ‘Beauty, Virtue, and Religious Exemplars’, Religious Studies 52.3 (2017): 171-181.
- ‘Going Slow’, Daily Philosophy, 11 September 2021.